Call us today to schedule an initial consultation

The Right Attorney for Critical Family Law Matters

AV Distinguished | LexisNexis Martindale-Hubble | Peer Review Rated for ethical standards and legal ability
LeadingLawyers | Find a better lawyer, faster
AAML | American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
IAFL | International Academy of Family Lawyers
Rated by Super Lawyers | David N. Schaffer |
Proud Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
Family Law

Family Law

Whatever family law problem you face, we are here to guide you to a better tomorrow.



Divorce is a difficult process, but can be much easier to bear with guidance from an experienced lawyer.

Child Custody/ Child Support

Child Custody/ Child Support

We are here to protect your parental rights and the best interests of your children.

International Custody / Kidnapping

International Custody /Kidnapping

We have extensive experience handling child custody disputes that cross international borders.

Get Help Enforcing State and Foreign Family Law Decrees


In the state of Illinois, both parents are required to provide for their child financially. However, if a party ordered by the court to pay a certain amount of support fails to do so, or is consistently late with payment, the court can find that party in contempt. In most cases, the noncomplying party will be forced to pay, or face jail time among other serious penalties.

At Schaffer Family Law, Ltd., we have been handling complex divorce matters for more than 38 years. We understand all aspects of family law and the procedures necessary to resolve contested family law disputes. Whether you need help enforcing a child support order or a spousal maintenance order, we are prepared to advocate on your behalf.

Court orders are mandatory — not voluntary. If you are not receiving the support ordered to you by the court, you can fight back. Contact us to discuss your situation in detail with our lawyer, David N. Schaffer.

Working to Enforce Child Support and Custody Orders

Sometimes, one parent moves away, making it much more difficult for the other parent to enforce child-related court orders. In situations such as these, it may be necessary to register judgment elsewhere, generally where the child resides.

Once a judgment has been registered, we can begin the process of enforcement. To obtain the support you need, we can file a lien on the debtor’s home. Penalties such as the suspension or revocation of driving privileges or professional licenses may also be imposed. Parties who have to go to court to enforce a judgment are allowed to recover attorney’s fees through Illinois law.

Did your ex move to another country? Court order enforcement overseas requires unique experience the average family law attorney might not have. David, however, is a practiced international family law attorney who has experience enforcing court orders internationally.

Contact Us

Enforcing a court order related to a family law matter can be a daunting process if you don’t even know where to start. Attorney David N. Schaffer has more than 38 years of experience and can be your guide.

To speak with our attorney about the enforcement of a court order, please contact us to schedule an appointment at our Naperville office. You may also call us at 630-922-4500 or contact us online to get started.